Friday, July 9, 2010

First Day at Frisoli

Today I had my first experience at the Frisoli Youth Center.  It is a very nice facility which includes an indoor gym and a well-kept computer lab.  They seem to keep the kids who come to the center busy with some great activities; when we arrived today, a group was off to practice golf!


A group of around 15 girls braved the heat again and came outside with me, along with staff members Sarah and Francis, who had played lacrosse in high school and through the Metro Lacrosse program.  While some of the girls (Frisoli runs an all-girls program in the summer) understandably faded a bit due to the heat, several seemed to be genuinely excited about learning and playing, which was awesome!  We did the some of the basics, including cradling, catching and throwing, ground balls, and shooting.  The girls seemed to most enjoy the shooting we did against a fence and the "Steal the Bacon" game we played at the end!

This week has been a great learning process for me.  I realize that I need to be more creative in trying to engage the kids I am working with in order to get them excited about the game of lacrosse.  The ultimate goal is for them to have fun and come away with a good impression of the sport.  I am going to enlist the help of some of my U.S. and Duke teammates this weekend to try to get some ideas!

No comments: