Monday, July 12, 2010

West Cambridge Youth and Community Center

Today was my first day at the third site where I am working, the West Cambridge Youth and Community Center.  Similar to Frisoli, this was another new and beautiful center that I am so glad the kids of Cambridge have access to. 

I had a lot of fun working with the groups at West Cambridge today.  I worked with two different groups for an hour each, which is a good amount of time where we can get enough in to have it be meaningful and everyone can stay somewhat focused.  My first group was made up of ten 9-12 year old boys...and they were awesome!  They were all really fired up to play.  First we played handball to simulate getting open for your teammates on the lacrosse field and moving the ball down the field, and we had a great competitive game!  The boys were really into throwing and catching, so then we just played handball with our sticks basically...same rules, and they did great! I will work with them again on Wednesday and am really looking forward to it.  The second group of kids was definitely more tired , but did a good job pushing through!  We played some more handball and did the basic passing for a bit, but then we mixed it up and did a fun relay race with sticks and played lacrosse baseball!

The most important thing is that the kids have fun...and with sticks in their hand as often as possible!

For once I am hoping that tomorrow is another scorcher...planning on whipping out some water balloons at Gately! :-)

No comments: